Crystal Dynamics, wanting to keep the development of Tomb Raider a secret, put out a casting call for a project called "Krypted" with a character called Sara.
Luddington was informed of the role by her agent, reading the character description, Luddington was reminded of Lara Croft and went to the first audition wearing shorts and boots.
The casting team were impressed with Luddington's performance and narrowed her down to one of the finalists, before finally getting the role.
She was informed that she had won the role while sitting in her car, claiming to have screamed upon learning that she was playing Lara Croft.
Luddington spent three years doing performance capture for Lara for the 2013 game.
She reprised her role as Lara for the sequel Rise of the Tomb Raider and it's story expansion packs.
Luddington confirmed her return as Lara Croft for Shadow of the Tomb Raider after the teaser trailer was released.
Luddington's performance as Lara has been generally very well received, being praised for bring so much depth and emotion to the character.
- Tomb Raider - Lara Croft
- Rise of the Tomb Raider - Lara Croft
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Lara Croft
- Luddington is the first person to provide voice, motion and facial capture for Lara.
- Luddington took archery lessons as a child, which she stated that she saw as pointless until getting the role as Lara.
- Crystal Dynamics gifted Luddington a onsie with a picture of Lara's climbing axe and the phrase "Tomb Raider in Training" when she announced the gender of her first child.