- "Hold your yapping tongue for want I clip it!"
- "I, Vladimir Kaleta, who worshipped in the first Kremlin, who butchered the Swede under Nevsky ('s orders) on the banks of the River Neva."
Time as a Soldier (13th century)Edit
According to what he tells Lara and Father Dunstan, Vladimir Kaleta was once a solider who "worshipped in the first Kremlin"--likely the Detinets--and fought at the Battle of the Neva under the command of Prince Alexander Yaroslovich.
Promise of Eternal Life (1284)Edit
Some time around the year 1284, Vladimir was promised the gift of eternal life by a "pox ridden Abbot" by way of an ancient scroll. However, the demon was trapped when the Abbot tricked him into a barn surrounded by running water, which demons can not pass.
Attempt to Escape Imprisonment (1984)Edit
- "...I taste freedom for the first time in an aeon."
Seven hundred years later, in 1984, Father Patrick Dunstan and Lara Croft - investigating rumors of a demonic presence on the Black Isle - encounter the demon. First, Lara meets Verdilet after meeting up with Father Patrick. She is nearly decapitated as Verdilet rides by on his horse. Lara trips and falls, after which Verdilet dismounted and lifted Lara off her feet. However, Verdilet spares her, throwing her aside. The second time she encounters him, Lara is in the middle of drawing a warding spell (an Arcane Symbol) with a piece of chalk. The spell is either not completed, incorrect or not strong enough, as he leaps off his horse and attempts to kill her with his sword. Father Patrick saves her life, throwing her out of the way of the blade. Verdilet then turns his attention to Father Patrick, grabbing him and knocking him out then throwing him over his horse and riding off with him.
Lara pursues them, finding the barn, Father Patrick and the demon rider. Attempting to intimidate them both, he tells them his story and threatens several times to kill the priest. He then holds Father Patrick hostage, promising to release him only if Lara dams up the waters around the barn and thus releasing the demon. Otherwise, Verdilet threatens to "gut (Father Patrick) like livestock".
Navigating past varied dangers, including a malicious Sea Hag, Lara succeeds and shores up the stream around the barn. Verdilet does indeed spare Father Patrick, but does not give the same consideration to Lara. Advancing menacingly towards Lara, Father Patrick tells her to use a book she obtained in a Library--the Bestiary--on the island and read the names contained inside. Lara finds his name at the last second, causing him to freeze in place just as he moves to strike, ending Verdilet's newfound freedom.
Having spoken his name, Lara now holds control over him. He is ordered by Lara to "go back where he came from" and she and Father Patrick both leave the island.
Tomb Raider: ChroniclesEdit
- Old Mill (cutscenes)
Tomb Raider: ChroniclesEdit
- Who is this that stands before me? The first to visit me in my prison seven hundred years past.
- Silence, ignorant heretic, or I behead you!
- For the child has spirit, but what is that? When this island is littered with the bones of holy men. My gift to them for their spirit in obstructing me from claiming my rightful inheritence.
- The inheritence is the gift of eternal life. Contained within an ancient scroll. Concealed by the dollard abbot and his cohorts. The scroll, which draws forth pale demon blood through my veins. I am no longer man. I am one for the earth and one for above the gaping abyss of Hades.
- Hold your yapping tongue for want I clip it! Boils and plagues plaste over this island and it's treacherous inhabitants! For it was they, and their ox little abbot', who plotted to incarcerate me in this dungeon hall for an eternity. I, Vladimir Kaleta, who worshipped in the first Kremlin, who butchered the Swede and the Lefsky on the banks of the River Neva. Incarcerated within this prison of flowing water!
- Indeed, the abbot's final trick before I was transformed. And you shall find a way to shore up this stream or your holy man shall be opened up and gutted like livestock.
- Your child has done her job well, and I taste freedom for the first time in an aeon. You will now fear me? For you have served your purpose well, holy man', and for this should I exercise mercy as a god might?
- Yes, I shall spare, and secure for you a fate worse than death! For when you pass beyond this world, Heaven shall no longer welcome you, for you have released a demon.
- Ah! The child. I shall snuff out her life as a candle.
- How is this? I move to strike and yet cannot!
- For this you shall burn for eternity! I shall drown you in a mire of your own entrails before I squeeze...
The Official Fact FilesEdit
- Tomb Raider: Chronicles (First appearance)